IDC Analyst logo


    Follow us

    Sign Up for Updates

      3 min read

      Product Registration: On-Ramp for Smarter Customer Engagement

      Featured Image

      Product registration is one of the most often used methods for brands to connect with their customers. Registration is the first post-purchase connection that brands have with those who buy their products.

      However, the number of products being registered is painfully low, compared to the number of products sold. Most brands report registration numbers around 10%, leaving 90% of purchased goods unregistered. This same 90% are unknown customers who are not receiving the benefits provided by being connected to brands.

      This means that brands are missing out on opportunities to directly cross-sell, up-sell and re-sell 90% of their customers. They’re also missing the opportunity to invite these customers to participate in direct feedback programs, consumer product communities or online forums, the brand has formed.

      Analog Product Registration Card

      Despite consumer’s migration to mobile, and the meteoric growth of always-on consumers, many brands still rely on paper registration cards that purchasers must mail in. This methodology alone is largely responsible for the chasm that exists between companies and their customers.

      Although paper registration cards still have to be included for the technology laggards, they shouldn’t be positioned or perceived as the primary way to communicate with a brand – especially during the initial onboarding process.

      Smart devices are packed with sensors and interactive capabilities. No consumer should have to complete a product registration card in this day and age. We don’t even mail checks for most bills we pay anymore – so how many people are willing to make a trek to the mailbox to send a missive about their most recent purchase?

      In order for brands to increase customer satisfaction, create advocates and reduce support costs they have to make the migration; not only to mobile, but to social as well. Using today’s devices and networks; brands can be seen as relevant, frictionless and easy to do business with. Registration can be accomplished in a variety of ways using laptops, tablets, smartphones and wearable devices.

      Smartphone Sensors resized 600Many of today’s devices include sensors like accelerometer, gyroscope, microphone(s), magnetometer, camera(s), Bluetooth, Near Field Communication (NFC), Global Positioning System (GPS), biometric fingerprint readers, light sensors, touch input - and that’s just the hardware!

      Using software virtually any information, either local or remote can be accessed and combined with other information to provide a complete silhouette of the product registrant back to the brand.

      Some of the more sophisticated products can have hardware and software embedded in the product where it connects to the Internet and registers itself with minimal interaction from the purchaser. Information can be collected from devices, personal identification and social accounts then combined with product information.

      Technology Roadmap: The Internet of Things

      The Internet of Things has made our appliances and climate control units smarter, to better serve us. Once all things are connected to the Internet, then social identities of those who purchased it can be embedded in the product.

      Imagine logging into your new tablet with Facebook; not to check your BFF’s status, but rather to register the device with the manufacturer. Using single sign-in solutions that allow secure authorization in a simple and standard method from web, mobile and desktop applications brands can severely reduce the information that customers have to enter to register a product.

      Using these new capabilities and building on these new concepts brands can get closer to their customers than ever before. These tools do not include every customer but those who it does address are more likely than ever to rate, review and join product communities.

      Bringing companies and consumers closer together will yield higher returns, enhance product satisfaction and reduce support costs for those who undertake these new initiatives.


      Bruce Burke